08 July 2010

Thank Goodness for a Comadre!


For Module 3
Canales, V. (2005). The Tequila Worm. New York: Wendy Lamb Books.

Sofia wants to continue her education, and she has won a scholarship to a prestigious school in Austin, Texas. But is she emotionally ready? Her large and loving extensive family helps her in many ways. There are chapters about making beans, planning a quinceanero, and other family activities. How can Sofia even think of leaving all that support behind? 

My view:
One of the best books I've read so far for this intensive class has been The Tequila Worm, by Viola Canales. Maybe because in my neighborhood there are several wonderful, strong women whom I consider my "Comadres", I resonated very much with this idea as presented by Canales. I am a single mother, and I know there are some things I just don't do very well. As much as I try, I just can't be all things to my boys. But thankfully there are some wonderful people who have been able to step in at key times and give my children careful mothering (and fathering) in areas where I just am not qualified. My gratitude for these people is tremendous. I liked how Canales explained the role of the comadre, and I recognize such in my own life. I will be sharing this book with these key friends and pointing out how much their influence affects my life and the lives of my boys. This book also gave us a delicious meal. When I was reading the part about Sofia and her father cooking beans together, I put some pintos in a pot and cooked them the same way. As I was finishing the book, my beans were also done, and the boys and I had a delicious meal of pinto beans, sour cream, fresh green onions, spicy salsa, and chopped avocado. It was mouthwateringly good, and we will have this again. What more could anyone ask---a book full of love, and a wonderful, easy to follow recipe at the same time.

"Canales' exuberant storytelling, which, like a good anecdote shared between friends, finds both humor and absurdity in sharply observed, painful situations--from weathering slurs and other blatant harassment to learning what it means to leave her community for a privileged, predominately white school. Readers of all backgrounds will easily connect with Sofia as she grows up, becomes a comadre, and helps rebuild the powerful, affectionate community that raised her."
Engberg, G.(2005). The Tequila Worm. Booklist,102(4), 47.

Ideas for the library: Well, how could we possibly read this in a book group without eating chips and salsa? Maybe I'm just hungry, but all my library ideas involve food right now. We can have a quinceanero party for all the 15 year old teens, complete with cake and dresses. That's all Kath Ann needs---another crack-brained idea from above that she has to implement. At least she knows I'll help her! 

No comments: