10 August 2010

Hints from the Universe

Module 8
Balliett, B. (2004). Chasing Vermeer. New York: Scholastic.


Sixth graders Petra and Calder find themselves drawn together by several factors: a love of art, blue m&ms, and the terrible disappearance of a painting by Vermeer. They explore clues together, decipher messages using the cryptic coincidence of Calder’s pentominoes, and meet amazing and strange people as they try to figure out the thief’s hiding place and save the painting.

My View:
Two things: Vermeer and Perception. I remember running to the university library from the Orson Spencer Hall to look up then pore over large tomes of Vermeer’s paintings. How had I lived 23 years without an awareness of Art? Maybe one of the reasons for my friendship with Paul was to awaken my mind to an appreciation of art. I certainly didn’t seem to be getting there on my own. (And now, what about music?) I think it’s interesting that Vermeer was the first artist I studied to any extent, and he is the one more children know than maybe any other—due to Blue Balliet’s book. Yes, Vermeer is an entry point to art, but he isn’t a namby-pamby blue and pink flowers kind of artist to appeal to the home decor, eucalyptus, frosted mirror crowd. His excellence has lasted for a reason.

Now perception. When Calder would reach into his bag of pentominoes, how would he figure out the hidden meaning behind whatever letter emerged? It’s that kind of perception that so easily can be blocked by cynicism or over rationalization. How do I read an I Ching throw, for example, or how did Lyra know what the Aelethiometer was saying? Maybe it is the suspension of rational thought and going with the first impression. I think these types of intuitive guesses are a way to tap into hints from the Universe.

“A fast-paced, exciting mystery with a host of quirky characters, puzzles, and plot twists.”
— (2005). Chasing Vermeer. School Library Journal 51(Supplement), 54.

Ideas for the library: Art, of course! We’re approaching the end of our weekly Summer Art Institute activities, and I know we’ll do more next summer. One thing we haven’t done so far is introduce different styles of classical art like Dawn does with her kindergarteners. In fact, next year maybe we can follow her curriculum and actually make a Jackson Pollack and a Georgia O’Keefe and others. For Vermeer, we could have the kids draw interior scenes of their own homes. Of course I will promote this book at the same time, and maybe even bring out our Pentominoes as a prop.

No comments: