10 August 2010

Tikkun Olam

Module 8
Greene, J. D. (2009). Changes for Rebecca. Middleton, Wisconsin: American Girl Publishing.

Rebecca is a budding actress who is appalled at the terrible treatment of workers in the textile industry. She speaks out at a rally and tries to help her cousin. In this simplistic story, all the problems are solved and there is a happy ending for everyone.

My View:
After recommending these books, to many girls, I figured I ought to read one of the series. I probably discovered these 38 years too late. But the faults I find now are nothing I would have grasped back then. As Joan Aiken said, books written for children should be even more carefully wrought because children have read so many fewer books than adults. These are good springboards into more detailed stories, and I know they add a dimension of awareness these young gals who throng my library would not have otherwise. About Rebecca in particular: she is a typical ten year old, the center of her own universe. I think her conscience and disobedience are both true to her age. But WHY are all the loose ends tied up so neatly? That is the source of my underlying sense of irritation with the whole series, I think. It is earnestness winning over realism, and maybe I am so bothered by it because that has been my approach for far too long. Well, I’ll try to heal the world in a slightly different way.


“American Girl often tackles difficult topics from history, attempting to make them more accessible for children. While labor issues are a dark historical truth, this issue is an important one and is presented in an age-appropriate way, though some children may be frightened by some of the events. This is the most educational title in Rebecca's series, placing Rebecca right in the middle of history and showing her hoping to help shape it.”
Honeybee, S. (2009) Labor issues and working for change. Amazon reviews. URL: http://www.amazon.com/Changes-Rebecca-American-Girls-Collection/product-reviews/1593695306/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending


Ideas for the library: It’s been four years since our last American Girl tea. I can hardly believe how quickly time flies. Well it is high time for another! Girls (and of course boys, too, but I doubt any will come) will come in period clothes, chosen for whichever girl is their favorite. I’m sure Grace will wear her pioneer dress for Kirsten. For me, a party like this is a chance for a new costume. Last time I wore Nineties (1890s) clothing, maybe this time I can make a Depression-era housedress or wear a lovely wool suit and fedora for the 40s. I had better start walking more so I will fit it well and not look like a waddling librarian. I think spring would be a good time for this tea. April, maybe.

No comments: